Re: I18n and Linked Data - an important (but fixable) omission?

Jodi,

2011/9/9 Jodi Schneider <jodi.schneider@deri.org>

> Tom,
>
> I'm going through the entire report now. When I first read your mail about
> the IRI that location seemed fine -- and I really like the sentence.
>
> However in the context of defining Linked Data in the Scope section, it
> seems out of place to me:
>
> *Linked Data*. "Linked Data" (LD) refers to data published in accordance
> with principles <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html> designed
> to facilitate linkages among datasets, element sets, and value vocabularies.
> Linked Data uses (Web) Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) as globally
> unique identifiers for any kind of resources -- analogously to the library
> world's identifiers for authority control -- and provides data using
> standards such as the Resource Description Framework (RDF). (While this
> report follows common practice in emphasizing URIs, readers should note the
> increasing role of Internationalized Resource Identifiers (IRIs)<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3987>
>  as multilingual Web addresses<http://www.w3.org/International/articles/idn-and-iri/> that
> support non-Latin scripts.) Linked Data defines relationships between things
> -- relationships that can be used for navigating between, or integrating,
> information from multiple sources.
>
> This complicates the section on Linked Data -- one of the key places I
> think we need to simplify. So I would propose reverting that change, so that
> this paragraph focuses only on Linked Data -- the concept it is defining.
>
> Then, if we do feel the need to cover URIs in the Scope section, I'd rather
> that we gave it its own line (similar to how we define
> "libraries"). Alternately we might want to put it in the "Available
> Technologies" Appendix section of the report: We have considerably
> simplified a number of issues in the main report.
>
> While I'm not sure that the *term* "IRI" is that much harder to understand
> than "URI" (which is different from the "URL" which is in common practice),
> you make a good point that URIs, rather than IRIs, are currently emphasized
> in Linked Data.
>

> It would be helpful to know whether, for instance, the National Diet
> Library is currently using IRIs for Linked Data.

I don't know about the National Diet Library. But e.g. there is dbpedia
internationalization under development, which already includes korean,
greece or german linked data
http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Internationalization/Chapters?v=ygn
So I think one can regards the deployment of IRI in library linked data only
a question of time:
A japanese (library) users wants to see
http://www.example.com/japanese-writers/夏目漱
and not http://www.example.com/japanese-writers/natsumesouseki
The same way a German user wants to see
http://www.example.com/german-writers/Johann_Wolfgang_von_Goethe
and not
http://www.example.com/german-writers/ヨハン・ヴォルフガング・フォン・ゲーテ

Regards,

Felix

--
Prof. Dr. Felix Sasaki
Senior Researcher, Language Technology Lab

Register for the W3C MultilingualWeb Workshop!
Limerick, 21-22 September 2011
http://multilingualweb.eu/**register <http://multilingualweb.eu/register>