I18N-ISSUE-117: Close definition of dir auto [HTML5-prep]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:52:03 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org

I18N-ISSUE-117: Close definition of dir auto [HTML5-prep]

Raised by: Addison Phillips
On product: HTML5-prep

3.2.3.4 The xml:base attribute (XML only)
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/elements.html#the-xml:base-attribute-xml-only

The dir 'auto' value has this note:

--
The heuristic used by this state is very crude (it just looks at the first character with a strong directionality, in a manner analogous to the Paragraph Level determination in the bidirectional algorithm). Authors are urged to only use this value as a last resort when the direction of the text is truly unknown and no better server-side heuristic can be applied.
--

Does HTML5 need to define auto so closely that no user-agent can provide a better algorithm? That seems counter-productive. Some room for innovation should be preserved.