I18N-ISSUE-76: Clarify 'preferred name' for encodings [HTML5-markup-prep]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:10:12 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org

I18N-ISSUE-76: Clarify 'preferred name' for encodings [HTML5-markup-prep]

Raised by: Richard Ishida
On product: HTML5-markup-prep

4.2. Character encoding declaration
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/syntax.html#character-encoding

"The value must be a valid character encoding name, and must be the preferred name for that encoding, as specified in the IANA [Character Sets] registry."

It would be good to have a link on 'preferred name' to make it clear that this includes the encoding name if there is no preferred name. See:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/infrastructure.html#preferred-mime-name
"The preferred MIME name of a character encoding is the name or alias labeled as "preferred MIME name" in the IANA Character Sets registry, if there is one, or the encoding's name, if none of the aliases are so labeled."