I18N-ISSUE-73: Case sensitivity of lang [Polyglot-prep]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:04:56 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org

I18N-ISSUE-73: Case sensitivity of lang [Polyglot-prep]

Raised by: Richard Ishida
On product: Polyglot-prep

6.3.3 Attribute Values
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-polyglot/#attribute-values

"Polyglot markup maintains case consistency for values on the following attributes, which occur on MIME types, language tags, charsets, booleans, media queries, and keywords. Though not required, an easy way to maintain case-consistency is to use only lower case values for these attributes. Polyglot markup maintains case consistency for these values because, for the purpose of selector matching, attribute values in XML are all treated case sensitively; however, HTML treats the values of these attributes as case insensitive (See 4.14.1 Case-sensitivity, in the HTML5 specification). [HTML5] "

It seems to me that lang should not be in this list. XML processors don't recognise lang as containing language information - which is why you have to have xml:lang anyway (specified elsewhere in this spec). So any case sensitivity would be relevant to xml:lang. Unless I'm mistaken, the CSS3 Selectors spec says that language attributes, including xml:lang are matched in a case-insensitive way (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#lang-pseudo), so xml:lang shouldn't be in this list either (currently it's not).