I18N-ISSUE-72: BOM as preferred encoding declaration [Polyglot-prep]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:03:40 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org

I18N-ISSUE-72: BOM as preferred encoding declaration [Polyglot-prep]

Raised by: Richard Ishida
On product: Polyglot-prep

3. Specifying a Document's Character Encoding

http://www.w3.org/TR/html-polyglot/#character-encoding

"By using the Byte Order Mark (BOM) character (preferred)."

We need to decide whether the UTF-8 signature is still a problem. (I've been working on a new version of the article about the BOM recently where some rehabilitation may be in order, except that it seems to me that there are still the following issues associated with using the utf-8 BOM:
a. a bom at the start of a PHP file can corrupt non-ascii characters, and produce blank lines
b. it produces quirks mode in IE6
c. it overrides HTTP encoding declarations in some browsers - which can be problematic in the case of server-based transcoding
d. dreamweaver doesn't seem to save with/without the bom properly

I'm struggling to produce test files at the moment...