I18N-ISSUE-71: clarify culturally-linked references to name position [Contacts API]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 20:06:57 +0000
To: public-device-apis@w3.org,public-i18n-core@w3.org

I18N-ISSUE-71: clarify culturally-linked references to name position [Contacts API]

Raised by: Addison Phillips
On product: Contacts API

Section 4.4.1
http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/#idl-def-ContactName

WG Approved: No.

The section on contactName attributes contains references such as:

--
familyName of type DOMString, nullable

    This attribute contains the family name (also referred to as the last name) of this Contact.
--

The family name is not always the "last name". In some cultures it appears first, for example. Please clarify these cultural references. I would suggest:

"This attribute contains the family name (which is also referred to, in some cultures, as the surname or last name) of this Contact."

Note: this comment also applies to "givenName" ("first name").

As a general observation, it would be useful to provide more international examples of names. "Mr. Joe Smith Jr." is not fully indicative of the richness of people's names.