Re: Unicode normalization in CSS

On Tuesday 2011-06-21 11:44 -0700, Phillips, Addison wrote:
> Generally speaking, I agree. However, the likelihood of and
> reasonableness of normalizing documents during the parsing stage
> is under question. Normalizing documents on-load may interfere
> with the user's intentions. Additionally, user-agents haven't
> imposed normalization for reasons (realistic or imagined) of
> performance.

I am *much* more concerned about the performance of normalizing
during selector matching than before parsing.  I think it's highly
likely that normalizing during selector matching would be an
unacceptable performance hit.  But I'd need to measure how bad
normalizing immediately after encoding conversion would be.

-David