(unknown charset) Re: Unicode normalization in CSS

From: (unknown charset) L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:24:28 -0700
To: (unknown charset) "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
Cc: (unknown charset) "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tuesday 2011-06-21 11:44 -0700, Phillips, Addison wrote:
> Generally speaking, I agree. However, the likelihood of and
> reasonableness of normalizing documents during the parsing stage
> is under question. Normalizing documents on-load may interfere
> with the user's intentions. Additionally, user-agents haven't
> imposed normalization for reasons (realistic or imagined) of
> performance.

I am *much* more concerned about the performance of normalizing
during selector matching than before parsing.  I think it's highly
likely that normalizing during selector matching would be an
unacceptable performance hit.  But I'd need to measure how bad
normalizing immediately after encoding conversion would be.