Re: [css3-text] New Working Draft

On 04/20/2011 04:47 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
> [css3-text]:
>
> "7.2. Emergency Wrapping: the ‘word-wrap’ property
> [...]
> break-word
>    An unbreakable "word" may be broken at an arbitrary point if there
> are no otherwise-acceptable break points in the line. Shaping
> characters are still shaped as if the word were not broken, and
> grapheme clusters must together stay as one unit.[...]"
>
> Here I also suggest that contextually shaped characters should not
> just keep their normal shaping, but the joining types should be taken
> into account, to avoid breaking between joined character pairs, with a
> higher precedence for disjoined characters.

Actually, the fact that the join is broken has the advantage of making
it more clear that this is an improper wrap. It is /better/ to break
there than at a disjoint boundary.

The purpose of "word-wrap: break-word" is to handle emergency cases,
where there are no other breakpoints. It does not insert hyphens. It
does not consider morphemic, syllabic, or other boundaries. It just
breaks somewhere arbitrary to avoid overflow.

So I disagree with your suggestion and believe the spec is correct
as it stands.

~fantasai