RE: I18N-ISSUE-9: OpenType feature preservation [WOFF]

I share the same concerns regarding the layout table handling that Richard and Christopher brought up, but I agree with John, and I think that mentioning the specific OT tables would be out of character for the WOFF spec. WOFF deals with packaging of fonts, and throughout the spec we've been very consistent referring to SFNT-based fonts (that doesn't imply any particular set of tables, table tags, etc.). Section 5 of the spec makes it clear that font data tables packaged in the WOFF file are the same as the table in the input font and, in addition, the compliance to the WOFF spec implies identical reconstruction of the input font when the WOFF file is unpacked. Saying anything specific about handling and semantics of particular font tables in the normative part would be out of scope of the WOFF spec, as Richard noted in his comment.

However, the informative note in section 5 does mention that UA "need not necessarily reconstitute the input font as a whole" and "may access individual tables directly as needed". I think it would be reasonable and appropriate to add a language here with the warning that removing or ignoring any font table may result in breaking the functionality of the font, which may affect text rendering results and text layout.

I think this would be best we can do, as far as WOFF spec is concerned. Once a font is unpacked, rendering of text using it is totally under UA control. I am a strong believer in market forces and think that while specs can establish interoperability they cannot *enforce* quality. A product that is not capable of rendering text in complex language scripts due to mishandling of certain font tables would be seen as inferior compared to the competition, and would likely have a limited market share. Sacrificing functionality vs. taking on security risks is a decision that only UA vendors can make based on their target markets and user base - and market itself offers much stronger incentives to get it right, more than any spec requirements would.

Thank you,
Vlad