ISSUE-5: Use of attributes for human readable text [WOFF]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:46:32 +0000
To: www-font@w3.org,public-i18n-core@w3.org

ISSUE-5: Use of attributes for human readable text [WOFF]

Raised by: Richard Ishida
On product: WOFF

6.2.1 Extended Metadata Block
http://www.w3.org/TR/WOFF/#Metadata

WG Reviewed: Yes

In the schema description, various items that contain human readable text are stored as attribute values.  We normally recommend that you don't do this (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#DevAttributes) because of potential translation and annotation difficulties (eg. markup of bidi text).  In several cases these attributes are the only content on empty elements.

See also the comment we will raise about localization of other elements, such as credit.  Making the name attribute of the credit element into an element would allow for localizations of the name text, which is currently not possible.

We would suggest converting the attributes to element content. In most cases, this does not seem to cause any significant increase in the size of the markup.