Re: css3-text- Indic Inputs

From: Ed <ed.trager@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 06:55:30 -0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Cibu Johny <cibu@google.com>, Somnath Chandra <schandra@mit.gov.in>, style <www-style@w3.org>, wwwintl <www-international@w3.org>, intlcore <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, indic <public-i18n-indic@w3.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com>
I agree with Andrew: there needs to be wording making it clear that
the first-letter pseudo-element applies to the first grapheme cluster.
 This will be true not only for the Indic scripts, but also for
Indic-derived scripts of Southeast Asia like Thai, Laos, Myanmar,
Khmer, and Tai Tham, inter alia.

It will still be a very long time before browsers actually provide
adequate support: but in any case it will be very nice if the specs
have adequate wording so implementors will have a better clue about
what might actually be required to support complex scripts.