Re: Comment on Widget Interface...

On 30 Sep 2010, at 16:51, Phillips, Addison wrote:

> Hi Art,
>
> No, I don't think it does. While the means by which the (user/system default) locale is determined may be implementation dependent, it is still necessary that the runtime determine what it is. The Widget interface thus needs to provide access to what it is. Otherwise how can the script calling the interface determine what language it is getting for the name, shortname, etc.? Or what locale the widget is actually using in its runtime? Obtaining this would be useful if the script were to request content or data formatting remotely (or do so locally using the JavaScript I18N extension that is being developed).

At present in Wookie we generate a widget instance using localization parameters passed to our API, so the information you get from the widget interface will be localized. However for things like making AJAX calls to other services, you are correct that this information will not be available in the Widget runtime - seems like a reasonable UC.