RE: Proposed new article: Using <b> and <i> tags

Hi Elika,

Thanks for these comments.  See below...

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/

Ah, thanks for drawing my attention to that. Changes made.

> <i lang="..."> can be assumed to be a foreign word, and styled appropriately
>
>    :lang(ja) > i[lang] { font-style: normal; }
>    :lang(ja) > i[lang]:before { content: "《"; }
>    :lang(ja) > i[lang]:after { content: "》"; }

Actually you should think carefully before using this approach, since the language attribute only describes the language of the text, not the meaning. It is possible that you will want to style text in a different language differently according to the context in which it is used, either now or in the future.

It is usually safer to also use class attributes to describe the semantics, and not overload the language attribute

I added a new subsection to the article to address this.

> Also, I would drop this sentence:
>
>    # Of course they could also have used span tags instead of the i or b.
>
> since <i> is in fact more appropriate than <span> here: there is
> a definite intention of typographically setting apart the text in
> the element.

Well only more appropriate for people who use bolding and italicisation.  Not necessarily so for a Japanese author.  So it's not wrong to use span if you prefer, just different.  I added the sentence:
"The difference would be that there would be no fallback to italics or bold in the absence of style rules."