Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update)
From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
> Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 17:00:36 -0700
> To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
> CC: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
> On 05/05/2010 11:22 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>
>> Updated change proposal:
>>
>> Let multiple language tags continue to be legal.
>> (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ContentLanguages)

> I agree completely with the intention of this change proposal. I have,
> however, some comments on the specific text changes:
>> == Details ==
>> Proposed spec changes, to section [4.2.5.3 Pragma directives]:
> I recommend also adding some explanation of what this pragma does, since
> it is completely unclear from this section what its purpose is.
> I suggest changing this sentence:
>      # This pragma sets the <dfn>pragma-set default language</dfn>.
> To something like this:
>      | This pragma sets the <dfn>pragma-set audience language</dfn>,
>      | which, if present, must <q>describe the natural language(s) of the
>      | intended audience of the document</q>. [HTTP] It can also be _consulted
>      | as a fallback_ [link to fallback paragraph in 3.2.3.3] when other
>      | content language information is not available. However authors should
>      | use the _lang_ attribute on the root element, not this pragma or its
>      | corresponding HTTP header, to set the document's primary language.
> And adjusting other occurrences of "pragma-set default language" as necessary.
>> Replace the following text
>>    # Note: Conformance checkers will include a warning if this pragma is
>>    # used. Authors are encouraged to use the @lang attribute instead.[HTTP]
>>
>> with the following
>>    | Note: The semantics of this pragma, as well as of the HTTP
>>    | Content-Language header, are different from the semantics of the @lang
>>    | attribute. [HTTP]
> This part of the note makes sense to be here, although with a better
> explanation of the pragma's purpose, may no longer be necessary.
>>    | Thus, there is no guarantee that the author consciously used either
>>    | of them for setting the language. Therefore, conformance checkers
>>    | will include a warning, whenever HTML5’s fallback language algorithm
>>    | is activated, whether it is the higher protocol or
>>    | this pragma that kicks in. Authors are informed about which language
>>    | the document falls back to, and are encouraged to not rely on the
>>    | fallback feature but to instead explicitly use the @lang attribute on
>>    | the root element.
> However, I think this explanation belongs in the fallback section, not
> here. I'm also not convinced it belongs in the spec at all. I'd rather
> see a simple normative statement in the fallback paragraph that conformance
> checkers should/must emit a warning when the fallback is triggered.
> The explanation here is otherwise superfluous.
Hmm, I think it's perhaps helpful to let content developers know which language
might be used as the 'fallback' language -- out of any languages they have specified
-- that is, when it's clear what the fallback language will be; otherwise there should be a statement saying that the fallback is not clear --as, in fact what the fallback will be depends in part on the browser;
so I don't agree completely with Fantasai here.
>> After the following text,
>>    # the content attribute must have a value consisting of a valid BCP
>>    # 47 language tag
>
>> then add the following:
>>    | , or a comma separated list of two or more BCP 47 language tags
>
>> Delete the following text:
>>    # This pragma is not exactly equivalent to the HTTP Content-Language
>>    # header, for instance it only supports one language.
> I agree with the last two changes.
Ditto,  +1.

?
> . . .