Re: [Uri-review] [hybi] ws: and wss: schemes

Joseph A Holsten wrote:
> Julian Reschke supposedly wrote:
>> Joseph A Holsten wrote:
>>> The only scheme I can think of that was defined as an IRI was XMPP
>>> [RFC4622]. It actually makes more sense when you start with IRIs. If
>>> that's what you need, please just do that.
>>
>> Actually, that RFC *registers* a URI scheme; see
>> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4622#section-3>.
>
> It does, and so should websocket. But every other scheme RFC defines the

Yes.

> URI first and foremost, then describes how to map IRIs. If websocket
> will be an IRI scheme first and foremost, defining it in terms of
> ihier-part and iquery makes sense. Then just adapt the text from RFC4622
> sections 2 and 3.

But there's no registry for IRI scheme, as far as I can tell.

So you always define the URI scheme, and then, when needed, talk about
how IRIs are mapped.

> The first sentence from
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4622#section-2.8.1> seems quite similar
> to Ian's preference with websocket:
> "If a processing application is presented with an XMPP URI and not with
> an XMPP IRI, it MUST first convert the URI into an IRI by following the
> procedure specified in Section 3.2 of [IRI]."

But to decide whether something is a URI, not a IRI, you need context,
right? (Any URI *is* a IRI, after all).

BR, Julian