Would you like to help index our resources?

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:07:29 -0000
To: <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Note that the index entries in the topic index/alphabetic index could do with a careful review, and that several documents are still missing.  If someone would like to help with that, I'd appreciate it.  It's just a question of editing a smallish text file - very easy.

For each document on the site that is to be indexed, there is a set of lines in this file.  I will write a new one here.  This is an extremely complicated example compared to the norm:

Tutorial: Creating SVG Tiny Pages in Arabic, Hebrew and other Right-to-Left Scripts
	^bidirectional algorithm^markup, and text direction^inline markup, and text direction^SVG Tiny
	Slide0040^direction property
	Slide0090^logical order^visual order^ordering bidi text
	Slide0140^direction property
	textAlign^text-align, and text direction
	textAnchor^text-anchor, and text direction
	Slide0220^directional context^context, directional^base direction^strongly typed characters^directional runs^neutral characters, text direction^digits and text direction^tspan, and text direction^RLM^LRM
	Slide0360^mirrored characters
	Slide0380^nesting directional runs^directional runs, nesting
	inline^tspan, and text direction
	Slide0420^overriding the bidi algorithm^bidi-override^unicode-bidi^direction property
	Slide0490^control characters, vs. bidi markup^bidi markup, vs. control characters^bidi control characters^LRE^RLE^LRO^RLO^PDF, control character

Line 1 is the title of the document, as it will appear in the index.
Line 2 is the uri of the document.
Line 3 is a sequence of keywords, separated by ^ related to the document as a whole
Lines 4 above are optional and only appear in some longer documents.  The lines start with a fragment identifier, followed by keywords specific to that fragment.  This allows for more precision in indexing longer articles.

That then gets read in by a PHP script I have, which churns out the index data as needed for use on the site.

Adding to the index is just a question of choosing an article, test, etc, and entering in the details and keywords.

If someone would like to help, I can send the text file for them to work on.  All currently indexed articles are listed in alphabetic order, so it's easy to see what needs doing.

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)