Re: SVG <title> (was: SVG Feedback on HTML5 SVG Proposal)

On Mar 11, 2009, at 02:04 , Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Doug Schepers wrote:
>>
>> The SVG equivalent of <span lang=""> is <tspan xml:lang="">.  We
>> considered making the content model of the <title> and <desc>
>> elements
>> match that of the <svg:text> element, but also wish to allow X/HTML
>> content for document semantics like lists and such.  Up until this
>> point, the SVG+X/HTML story was unclear, but with browsers natively
>> implementing SVG, we now have an opportunity to sort this out.  (Do
>> note
>> that there are SVG-only UAs, so any solution there would have to only
>> optionally use HTML.)  Any thoughts or comments along those lines?
>
> One option would be to have SVG say what it does now, and to have the
> HTML5 spec explicitly say that the content model of <title> in SVG in
> text/html is limited to what HTML5 calls "phrasing content". This
> basically excludes what HTML4 calls "block-level elements", and
> includes
> things like <span> and <ruby>.
>
> I don't really have an opinion on exactly what the right solution
> here is.

I think that's the right approach. Basically, the limitations that
Tiny 1.2 has in making it text only are (as you point out) bad for
I18N and in effect entail that there's no need to use an element as an
attribute would suffice. Since a) there is no specified SVG rendering
for this element, and b) the cases in which it can be involved with
the rest of the (notably with <tref>) are well defined, using phrasing
content seems sensible.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/