Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 10:58:35 +0000
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: David Clarke <w3@dragonthoughts.co.uk>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-i18n-core@w3.org, 'W3C Style List' <www-style@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

 > (Ignoring for the moment the enormous cost and pain of changing
 > codepoint-equality-checks to canonical-equality-checks in widely
 > deployed software and standards...)

I cannot see any causal relationship between "widely deployed"
and "enormous cost"; the cost would surely be much the same
were there just a handful of users, would it not ?

On the other hand, the number of parsers is small and finite;
how many input method editors are there for all the world's
natural languaqes, I wonder ?  That is surely where the real
cost would lie, were we to adopt Henri's preferred solution.

Philip TAYLOR