Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:52:12 +0200
Cc: Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>, Andrew Cunningham <andrewc@vicnet.net.au>, public-i18n-core@w3.org, W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>

On Feb 5, 2009, at 17:31, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> My point is that it's generally not helpful to bring out the
>> Western bias[1] thing in discussions of using Unicode in computer
>> languages. Previously, too, performance has been preferred over
>> full natural language complexity for computer language identifier
>> equality comparison and in that instance clearly it could not have
>> been an issue of Western bias. The thing is that comparing computer
>> language identifiers code point for code point is the common-sense
>> thing to do.
>
> With respect, it is the /simplest/ thing to do.  For those
> who work in anything more complex than English, it is
> probably anything /but/ "common sense".

You do realize that the language I speak natively isn't invariant
under Unicode normalization when written? Yet, I don't insist that
e.g. XML parsers to consult the Unicode database when doing string
equality matching.

(Yeah, the input methods for my native language are pretty consistent
in producing NFC, so I don't actively feel the pain of normalization-
inconsistent input methods, but still occasionally I need to explain
NFD to people--mostly when Mac OS X happens to leak its internals into
interchange.)

>> If you consider the lack of case-insensitivity, some languages are
>> not perfectly convenienced. If you consider the lack normalization,
>> another (overlapping) set of languages is not perfectly
>> convenienced. If you consider the sensitivity to diacritics, yet
>> another set of languages is not perfectly convenienced. No language
>> is prohibited by code point for code point comparison, though.
>
> Yet for many (perhaps most) of the world's languages, comparison by
> code-point is noticeably sub-optimal.

Sure. However, easy equality checking is a more important
characteristic of computer language identifiers than natural language
optimality. (The content carried by XML and HTML is a different
story.) That identifiers aren't just binary numbers but have some
mnemonic textual interpretation is just a bonus for convenience. We
shouldn't get carried away thinking that natural language expression
is the primary point of having e.g. HTML ids.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi