Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: Andrew Cunningham <andrewc@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 13:17:29 +1100
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@amazon.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
fantasai wrote:

> Here's another wrench to throw into the cogwork: what if I serve up
> text where each combining character is wrapped in a <span>?

ummm, haven't tried that, but even without normalisation issues, may
cause display issues.

suspect the font rendering system/text layout in the browser would
break, just a guess would need to test. At the very least a developer or
graphic designer would need to take a lot of care about cascade affects
wrt font declarations ;) but then care is needed with any font
declaration involving combining diacritics.

--
Andrew Cunningham
Senior Manager, Research and Development

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Fax: +61-3-9639-2175

Email: andrewc@vicnet.net.au
Alt email: lang.support@gmail.com