Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

Richard Ishida wrote:
> Although we can't assume that text is normalized in the wild, because
> we can't control how people create that text

Agreed.

> when I talked about
> normalizing class names and selectors I really wasn't thinking of
> doing that each time a class name is matched to a selector.

In that case, it doesn't really belong in the Selectors specification
but rather in the CSS and HTML/XML/whatever parsing specifications, right?

> Rather I was assuming that while you read in the data to the user agent you
> normalize at the same time as you convert to the internal encoding
> (which in itself is a kind of normalization).

Right.  That's what I was suggesting to.  The claim, apparently, is that
doing this for XML violates XML 1.0 and that doing it for HTML is also
not acceptable for practical reasons.... Unless I misunderstood something?

-Boris