Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:02:28 -0800
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@amazon.com>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Monday 2009-02-02 10:53 -0800, L. David Baron wrote:
> No, we're not using strcmp() in our code today, because it's too
> slow.  We're doing atomization of many things to make comparison
> faster than strcmp.

> Most string comparisons fail, so failing quickly is significantly
> more important than succeeding quickly.

For what it's worth, I'm aware that these statements somewhat
contradict each other.  Maybe we don't win as much from atomization
as we think, although I suspect there may be performance benefits
derived from code size reductions (since a single word comparison is
smaller than a function call or an inlined strcmp).  Or maybe
string comparisons succeeding quickly is important too.  (But
failing quickly is still *more* important.)

-David