RE: Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@amazon.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:02:05 -0800
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> Why have you come to the conclusion that it's impossible to
> reconcile with the current state of software?
>
> In this thread, you have some browser makers telling you they'd
> vastly prefer that approach to having to consult experts on Unicode
> normalization for every API, every property getter, etc., to
> determine what the correct behavior is.
>
> I think switching to early Uniform normalization is something that
> could be done in a single browser release for each browser maker.

Because browsers are NOT the primary creator of the content. Early uniform normalization refers to every process that creates an XML/HTML/CSS/etc etc. document. The browser reads those documents and must still deal with normalization issues.

> Having to go through every Web-exposed API and decide on the
> correct
> behavior with regards to normalization is an approach that will
> likely take decades, rely on being serialized behind the judgment
> of
> a very small number of people, produce a long series of decisions
> whose internal inconsistencies will break substantive use cases,
> and
> still interfere significantly with the worldwide usability of any
> software built using generic mechanisms (since you're not going to
> teach every Web developer testing string equality in Javascript
> which cases should use normalized-equality and which cases use
> strict-equality).

Normalization sensitive operations will still exist that require specifications to deal with them--or not.

Addison