Re: [selectors-api] Selectors API I18N Review...

Phillips, Addison wrote:
> Assuming for a moment that CSS3 does not resolve the problem with
> Unicode normalization in selectors, users of selectors-api will be
> potentially surprised by the results in certain circumstances
> involving denormalized selectors.

I have discussed this with my co-editor, Anne, and we have a number of
concerns about including such a note within Selectors API.

The core of the issue is the Selectors specification itself, which you
feel inadequately addresses normalisation, and so the issue is likely to
occur not only in Selectors API, but in all other uses of Selectors by
other specifications.  This includes, but may not be limited to, CSS,
XBL and CSSOM.

The note itself will only remain relevant and accurate for as long as
Selectors does not include normalisation.  If a subsequent version of
Selectors does include it, then the note will become misleading and
inaccurate.  This will be of particular concern once Selectors API
becomes a recommendation, at which point it will be too late to remove
it in the event of Selectors adding support for normalisation in the future.

As such, if the CSSWG does not require normalisation in the current
specification, it seems like it would be more beneficial for authors if
the proposed note were instead included within Selectors itself, rather
than individually within each existing or future specification that
depends on it.

> Implementers will also benefit by not getting stuck on test cases
> that involve normalization.

I do not understand that claim because, since Selectors currently
doesn't require normalisation, any test cases that relied on
normalisation would be invalid tests.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/