RE: [selectors-api] Selectors API I18N Review...

At 03:32 09/01/30, Richard Ishida wrote:

>Following on from our discussion at yesterday's telecon, I did some
>research into whether major browsers actually do normalise selector and
>class names for matching.  The answer is that they don't.

I could have told you. The visibility of this issue is extremely low.
It only applies to languages such as Vietnamese, where both
precomposed and (half-)decomposed forms are widely used,
and only if element or attribute names use these characters,
which by itself is very rare
(there is also the attribute value case, but that's still
not very widely supported in browsers as far as I understand).

>Tests: http://www.w3.org/International/tests/css/tests-selectors/
>
>Results:
>http://www.w3.org/International/tests/css/tests-selectors/results-normalization
>
>(Thanks to Andrew for suggesting the use of Vietnamese.)
>
>I suggest we follow up on Elika's helpful note and request that the CSS WG
>re-examine this for CSS 2.1 and the CSS3 modules.  I think it is quite an
>important lapse, and I'm not sure how we missed it for so long.  Certainly
>this can cause major headaches for people working in Vietnamese and the
>many other languages that use combining characters, in that the cause of
>the failure to match names is not at all obvious, and fixing it may not be
>simple, especially if different people are working on the CSS and the markup.

I disagree that this is an important lapse. It is overkill to
require browsers to implement normalization here just for the
very rare case of element/attribute names (and attribute values)
containing Vietnamese characters.

The 'different people working on the CSS and the markup' may indeed
be a possible scenario, and things could go wrong in particular if
e.g. the CSS designers work on a Mac and the text is prepared on
Windows, but then developers in Vietnam should be aware of this
issue, they will bump into it much earlier, e.g. when doing text
searching in editors,... My guess is that information on this
is also available rather easily in Vietnamese, for English,
see e.g. http://vietunicode.sourceforge.net/main.html.

I think it's a good idea to make sure that normalization issues have
been thought through for CSS, but it is very important to do that in
a moderate and appropriate way.

Regards,   Martin.