Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

On Thursday 2009-01-29 13:27 -0800, fantasai wrote:
> Thanks for the tests and the report, Richard. Going from that, I think it
> makes sense to require /not/ Unicode-normalizing CSS. It may be a bit
> confusing indeed for people working in Vietnamese and other such languages,
> but on the other hand behavior across browsers is interoperable right now.
> If one browser started normalizing, then someone testing in that browser
> would not notice that the page is broken in other UAs.

In what parts of CSS might you want unicode normalization to be
done?  The only case I can think of is selector matching that
compares attribute values (or, in the future, text content).  And
even then it seems like it might be helpful in some cases and
harmful in others.

(I tend to think we probably don't want it for selectors, both since
we currently have interoperability, and since selectors are
particularly performance-sensitive.)

-David