RE: Unicode Normalization in XML 1.0 5e

Addison,

Thanks for your update.  Please allow me to give you some
more background for your WG's discussion.

Whereas XML 1.1 does include a normalization checking
option, we cannot add such a feature to XML 1.0.  At
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#sec-normalization-checking
XML 1.1 starts with a sentence that is basically the
first paragraph of the note we propose below (with a
reference to CharMod).

Then it follows with what is basically the first sentence
of the second paragraph of the note proposed below.  That
paragraph in XML 1.1 goes on to talk about a user option.

Our staff contact has informed us that we cannot do something
that is effectively introducing a new feature into the
language, and a user option is a new feature.  Hence the
rest of the second paragraph in our proposed note suggests
that processors may do what, in XML 1.1, is allowed by
user option.

regards,

paul