Re: [widgets] i18n proposals document

Hi Mark,

On 4/16/09 7:20 PM, Mark Davis wrote:
> I just glanced at this, but the first line is wrong:
> Internationalization, or i18n, is the automated process employed by a
> user agent to select localized content from a widget package that
> matches the language preferences of an end-user.
>
> If you want a term for the latter phrase, fine. But that isn't the
> meaning of "internationalization", which is a development process
> (enabling a program to be easily localized, without code changes).
> "internationalization" is not a user runtime selection process.

D'oh! I've copied what the W3C's i18n FAQ on says [1]:

"Internationalization, or i18n, is the design and development of a
product, application or document content that enables easy localization
for target audiences that vary in culture, region, or language.
Localization refers to the adaptation of a product, application or
document content to meet the language, cultural and other requirements
of a specific target market (a "locale")."

Kind regards,
Marcos

[1] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-i18n