Re: comments on rdf:text draft

Phillips, Addison wrote:
>> Thanks for this comment. I'm afraid, however, that in response to
>> Sandro's
>> comments, I have rewritten earlier today this part of the
>> introduction. I've
>> adopted the "elevator pitch" that Sandro suggested. Please let me
>> know should
>> you consider that the current intro needs further revision.
>>

> The new text is okay, although I think it might leave the average reader slightly mystifying what rdf:text is for. There is a lot of text about different literal flavors, but no mention about why the presence or absence of a language tag is interesting. And it concludes with this paragraph, which suggests some confusion about how to represent text in RDF:
>
> --
> RDF tools may use other mechanisms for representing internationalized text, such as the xml:lang feature of the rdf:XMLLiteral datatype. The rdf:text datatype does not provide a replacement for such mechanisms.
> --
>
> It seems to me that the introduction should say why these three classes of literals are related and why rdf:text might be interesting. I would at least include some sort of notation about why language tags might be needed. Perhaps add a third bullet point:
>
> --
> * Literals often contain human-readable natural language text. RDF needs a mechanism for representing literals in various different languages, for selecting the proper literal in a specific language, and to allow applications to keep language information with literals to facilitate processing that is language affected.

That phrasing implies that RDF lacks such a facility. It does not.
Language-tagged-plain literals along with the existing SPARQL operators
for extracting and matching language tags already provide mechanisms
meeting all of those requirements.

The primary thing that rdf:text adds is a way to refer to such text
literals for the purposes of OWL2. The original introductory text
captured that as does the second bullet point in the new text.

Dave