RE: Transition Request for publication of XML 1.0 Fifth Edition as REC

(any objections to this email going out on 'chairs@'? any comments on the contents?)

==========

The Internationalization WG is extremely happy to see the publication of XML1.0 Fifth Edition and supports this request.

This document clears away a long-standing problem with the use of newer Unicode characters in elements, attributes and so forth. This limitation represented a barrier for users of characters encoded after Unicode 2.0 (tens of thousands of characters have been encoded since then to reach current Unicode version 5.1), including speakers of many languages---not minority languages, in many cases---as well as users of specific characters encoded later and necessary to languages/scripts previously encoded.

This update also fixes the reference to BCP 47 (so that it does not become stale).

These changes will, in our opinion, not harm interoperability and will ease implementation. We look forward to its advancement to REQ.

Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.