Re: comment: upgrading to Unicode

From: Andrew Cunningham <andrewc@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 06:37:59 +1100 (EST)
To: "Dan Chiba" <dan.chiba@oracle.com>
Cc: public-i18n-core@w3.org

On Wed, October 29, 2008 5:06 am, Dan Chiba wrote:

> These would be more accurate if revised to:
>
> "In addition, many legacy encodings for complex scripts are already
> multibyte, eg, Chinese."

I'd probably avoid mentioning complex scripts here. Would complicate
things. Esp since in horizontal mode, Chinese doesn't require complex
rendering or text layout. It is would more likely be treated as complex
script in vertical mode.

Most complex script legacy encodings that I've worked with are not
multibyte encodings. Whether you are looking at South-East Asia, South
Asia or Central Asia most legacy encodings 8-bit encodings.

--
Andrew Cunningham
Research and Development Coordinator

andrewc@vicnet.net.au