Re: [widgets] i18n <span> element VS unicode RLM/LRM

Hello Marcos,

many people from the i18n core WG are away this week, so there might be
more replies later. This is a personal reply.

Marcos Caceres wrote:
> Hi, i18n-WG.
> In recent feedback we received from Addison Phillips regarding the
> Widgets 1.0: Packaging specification, he suggested that WebApps should
> add a <span>-like element to our Widget Configuration Document format
> (so to allow bidi text to be declared).

I think such an element would only be necessary within these elements:
name, description, author, license. It seems that only these elements
may contain human readable text.

> At our last F2F, WebApps discussed the proposition and we were left
> wondering if we can use unicode's RLM/LRM characters instead of a

See
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-xml-i18n-bp-20080213/#DevDir
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/NOTE-unicode-xml-20070516/#Bidi
I will not repeat the arguments here, but the conclusion is that indeed
an attribute for directionality information would be better than relying
on Unicode control characters.

>  Not having the
> don't want to sacrifice i18n for the sake of simplicity, so we really
> need your guidance again on how to move forward.

I personally would recommend you to use the <its:span> element in the
ITS namespace. The element is defined at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/#span
This element gives you the "dir" attribute and various other attributes
which are useful for esp. Widgets localization. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/#att.local.no-ns.attributes
See also the related "Best Practice" to define such an element for XML
vocabularies at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-xml-i18n-bp-20080213/#DevSpan
To keep simplicity for Widgets 1.0, you could say in your conformance
description that a Widgets processor has various options to deal with
the <its:span> element (or more in general: the ITS namespace) and its
attributes: ignore them or process them.

If you do not want to add markup from a specific namespace, you could or
should IMO add extensibility points for people who need such markup.
That is, change in the schema something like

description = element description {
  xmllang.att?,
  text
}

description = element description {
  xmllang.att?,
  any
}

and define "any" and a pattern "anyElement" as

any= (attribute * { text }
     | text
     | anyElement)*

anyElement =  element * { any }

Again the conformance for such markup can say: ignore it ("it" meaning:
markup from other namespaces) or process it. I think you are basically
saying that already at http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#extensions

Regards, Felix.