Re: I18N issues an OWL2

Axel Polleres さんは書きました:

> Felix Sasaki wrote:
>> Ivan Herman さんは書きました:
>>>

>>> Axel Polleres wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> Yes, that is indeed a good point.
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> This is indeed quite nice, I must say. Addison already referred to
>>> one caveat that I intended to raise, namely the possibly high number
>>> of language tags (by the way, [1] gives a fairly readable overview
>>> of those). Let us see where that discussion goes...
>>

>> This caveat might be a severe problem of this approach. The BCP 47
>> language tags are relying on a generate approach using the ABNF in
>> BCP 47 (so-called "well formed" language tags), and in addition the
>> registry of sub tags. I'm not sure if it will be feasible to put
>> these two types of conformance in relation to the planned OWL2 data
>> type hierarchy, though I think it would be highly desirable ...
>
> The question is more then, whether we still want to go for the
> somewhat crooked detour of having language tags outside the datatypes?
> I mean, in what sense does the generic datatype rif:text or
> owl:internationalizedText*) solve the problem instead of just hiding it?
>
> BCP 47 says: "Subtags are distinguished and separated from one another
> by a hyphen ("-", ABNF [RFC4234] %x2D)."
>
> So, why could a lang: datatype hierarchy not simply state that the
> hierarchy is defined *implicitly*. We don't need to list this
> hierarchy explicitly, but could just define:

> <i>tag2</i> are both valid language tags, following [BCP 47].
>
> Maybe, I am oversimplifying things here, but I really don't understand
> the deep problem with this approach - which probably there is, but I'd
> appreciate if someone could point me explicitly.

I'm looking at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-16 ,
the currently planned revision of BCP 47. See esp.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-16#section-2.2.8

 Many of the grandfathered tags have been superseded by the subsequent
   addition of new subtags: each superseded record contains a Preferred-
   Value field that ought to be used to form language tags representing
   that value.  For example, the tag "art-lojban" is superseded by the
   primary language subtag 'jbo'.

That is, for the language tags "art-lojban" and "jbo" there is no
hierarchy. The language tags express the same language.

Another issue is with so-called Macro languages and extended language
subtags, see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-16#section-4.1.2
I can't explain these concepts in detail here, but the problem with the
notion of "a longer sub tag = deeper hierarchy" arises here:

[
Each encompassed language's subtag SHOULD be used as the primary
language subtag. For example, a document in Mandarin Chinese
would be tagged "cmn" (the subtag for Mandarin Chinese) in
preference to "zh" (Chinese).
o If compatibility is desired or needed, the encompassed subtag MAY
be used as an extended language subtag. For example, a document
in Mandarin Chinese could be tagged "zh-cmn" instead of either
"cmn" or "zh".
]

That is, Mandarine Chinese could be tagged as "zh-cmn" or "cmn" or "zh.
Again you have no clear "length to hierarchy" relation.

Addison can provide more examples and can judge if my concerns here are
valid.

Felix