Re: I18N issues an OWL2

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> (too many lists! :))
>
> I'd like to raise a point that Dan Brickley (cced) often champions. If
> it's more appropriate in a narrower scope, please narrow it for me!
>
> In some applications, like FOAF, it's common to compare as equal two
> strings with different language tags (esp. for such purposes as being a
> database key like identifier). I can think of several ways to do this
> (e.g., always comparing the strings and opting in to distinguishing the
> languages), but I thought I'd raise the issue.
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

Well, with the built-in functions in DTB [1]... you should be able to do
so, there are functions for extracting the string: by casting rif:text
to xs:string [2]) as well as extracting the lang-tag (by adopting
SPARQL's lang function [3]. Note that the former would be even easier
with the langtag-as-dataype proposal, and for the latter, we'd need a
function which returns the datatype of a literal... we have to discuss
this, since sparql's datatype function [4] is not straightforwardly
applicable to RIF semantically... at least there are some implications
in defining it, I guess.

Axel

1.http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/DTB
2.http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/DTB#xs:string
3.http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/DTB#func:lang_.28adapted_from_SPARQL.27s_lang_function.29
4.http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/#func-datatype

--
Dr. Axel Polleres, Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI)

Everything is possible:
rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:Resource.
rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:subPropertyOf.
rdf:type rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:subClassOf.
rdfs:subClassOf rdf:type owl:SymmetricProperty.