W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > January to March 2008

i18n Core telecon minutes 2008-03-12

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:35:45 +0900
Message-ID: <47D876E1.7040405@w3.org>
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org

... are at http://www.w3.org/2008/03/12-core-minutes.html and below as text.

Felix


   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                     Internationalization Core WG

12 Mar 2008

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Homework

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/12-core-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Addison (partly), Michael, David, Richard, Felix

   Regrets
          Michelle

   Chair
          Addison Phillips

   Scribe
          Addison, Felix

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Agenda
         2. [6]Action Items
         3. [7]Info Share
         4. [8]XLink 1.1 LC
         5. [9]XML-Spec usage for WG Note status document
         6. [10]documents to work on
         7. [11]entities mail from Mick
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   er...

   [13]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Homework

     [13] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Homework

Agenda

Action Items

   Addison to finish revising Unicode Migration for publication;
   Addison to resolve editing issues

   Addison: write basic outline in wiki for a note on case folding
   ... update review radar also blog post, etc.

   Mick: revise his proposal and send to public list as a reference for
   future inquiries about bidi entities

   <scribe> DONE

   agenda plus for discussing mick's proposal

   Addison: Write to WebAPI WG chair expressing our concern about
   non-i18n statement and lack of i18n in widgets 1.0 WD

   Andrew: create notes on how to use the wiki template

   Addison to request new schedule following 2 April

   Addison to reschedule the meeting for the next couple of weeks to
   follow DST in USA

   <scribe> DONE

   Addison: produce list of documents and add to pipeline

   <scribe> DONE

Info Share

   [14]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Pipeline

     [14] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Pipeline

   richard: one teammate published a blog to say that we have reached
   1000 translations on the W3C website; and unicode really helped that
   ... and I have four more, so it's 1004; our first ukrainian ones
   among them

   mick: linking between translations is okay on w3 site, since content
   negotiation is used; need some hints on managing translations for
   sites that can't do this would be useful

   richard: w3 site (outside i18n) uses a different format--uses a
   database and no links appear on the pages themselves

   mick: we've done things with automation to list the translations
   available

   <Mick>
   [15]http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hubs/multilingual/japanese/content/i
   nstall_multi_solaris.jsp

     [15] 
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hubs/multilingual/japanese/content/install_multi_solaris.jsp

   ---

XLink 1.1 LC

   addison: issued their last call announce
   ... LEIRIs are in
   ... want to comment on this positiviely as a WG

XML-Spec usage for WG Note status document

   [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2008JanMar/
   0101.html

     [16] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2008JanMar/0101.html

   richard: was editing bidi best practices yesterday... bit painful,
   since I had to keep generating the document
   ... not using xmetal, so it might be easier to use html directly
   ... and if we go back to charmod, it'll take some DTD archaeology to
   fix the docs up
   ... on the other hand, there are lots of good things to using xml
   ... for one thing, the docs are consistent
   ... and always valid, etc.
   ... can easily number things, etc. etc.
   ... on the gripping hand, if you want to change anything, it
   requires that you edit a bunch of stuff, like DTD and XSLT
   ... so the question in my head was: should we change to html?
   ... maybe let authors decide?

   felix: add a couple points
   ... xml means pain first, easy later
   ... html means easy first, pain later
   ... might disagree about leaving decision to editor
   ... I'd try to convince folks to use xmlspec, maybe, since it
   provides more flexibility
   ... differences between TR and Editor version, for example, easier
   to maintain using XSL

   <fsasaki> addison: xml provides a significant learning curve

   <fsasaki> .. but if things work it is easier to get things done

   <fsasaki> .. I support the idea of XML

   <fsasaki> .. but we have to be careful about non TR documents

   <fsasaki> Richard: if we did use XHTML it would need to be carefully
   controlled

   <fsasaki> .. have stylesheet checking etc.

   <fsasaki> Mick: choice of XML or HTML:

   <fsasaki> .. barrier of usage is a problem, but I don't really care

   <fsasaki> .. for people, XHTML is simpler

   <fsasaki> Richard: XHTML appears simpler but we'd have to put a lot
   of constraints on people for editing

   <fsasaki> Mick: if people edit people their own XHTML - what are the
   consequences?

   <fsasaki> Richard: you need be sure that things work

   <fsasaki> .. e.g. in character model we extracted a list of
   conformance constraints, or example numbering

   <fsasaki> .. we'd also need to do checking

   <fsasaki> Felix: checking might not be so powerful if you use XHTML,
   compared to the xmlspec

   <fsasaki> .. people might also give us invalid XHTML which we'd need
   to clean up

   <fsasaki> Mick: is validation during upload possible?

   <fsasaki> Richard: no

   <fsasaki> .. we currently use XHTML 1.0

   <fsasaki> David: doesn't matter to me which (X)HTML version

   <fsasaki> Felix: think this discussion is only relevant for TR space
   publications, not things published on our i18n site

   <fsasaki> Richard: agree

   <fsasaki> .. was always a strong supporter for XML document

   <fsasaki> .. just wanted to re-visited that

   <fsasaki> David: comment on Dream weaver and BOM

   <fsasaki> Richard: there is an option about that Dream weaver

documents to work on

   <fsasaki> Richard: charmod IRI, norm, LTLI, i18n-ws need to be
   edited

   <fsasaki> Felix: LTLI might be hot, but might take long time until
   it's done

   <fsasaki> Richard: chardmod norm has been going for a long time and
   we refer to it frequently, would be good to have it done

   <fsasaki> Mick: propose just to pick one and start with it

   <fsasaki> David: agree with Mick - choose one

   <fsasaki> David: soft preference for charmod norm

   <fsasaki> Richard: we'll discuss this next week again with Addison

entities mail from Mick

   <fsasaki> Mick: was a rewording of the original mail I had send out

   <fsasaki> Richard: let's discuss again with Addison on the call

   <r12a> [17]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Homework

     [17] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Homework

   <fsasaki> Richard: feel free to edit the homework page (to add this
   to the agenda). Everybody can do that during the week

   <fsasaki> adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [18]scribe.perl version 1.133
    ([19]CVS log)
    $Date: 2008/03/13 00:32:15 $

     [18] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [19] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 13 March 2008 00:36:17 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:53 GMT