FW: Bidi comments for html5

[Forwarded for Najib]
-----Original Message-----
From: Najib Tounsi [mailto:ntounsi@gmail.com]
Sent: 25 February 2008 16:16
To: Richard Ishida
Cc: public-i18n-core@w3.org
Subject: Re: Bidi comments for html5

Hi Rchard, all,

The dir attribute is one of the most important HTML markup for Bidi prose.
I think that all what is related to bidi, should be well
define/specified. The spec should elaborate more on this, for the dir
attribute to be  clearly understood  by HTML content authors as well as
by browsers designers.  e.g.  in HTML4, it is not sufficient to only
mention that there are rtl and ltr scripts, that <bdo> overrides the
bidi algorithm and that dir change directionality .  At least, HTML spec
should link loudly to various I18n WG publishing about Bidi.
I18n WG, should take care not to miss the opportunity of the brand new
HTML5 to put dot on the "i"s where appropriate.

About, dir="rlo" or "lro", the idea is good (useful for block elements)
but reading HTML4 spec, it is yet not easy to see exactly what does the
dir attribute do, and especially what it does not do. How not to confuse
the situation by adding these two new values "rlo and "lro" to the old
ones "rtl" and "ltr"?
I am not against the idea, but things should be made clearer.

(Btw, about acronyms, it is already easy to get confused by RLE/LRE vs
RLM/LRM vs RTL/LTR. For the anecdote, in HTML4, you can read [1]:
--
LEFT-TO-RIGHT EMBEDDING ("LRE", hexadecimal 202A)
POP DIRECTIONAL FORMATTING ("PDF", hexadecimal 202C)

Any comments?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.2.3

Regards, Najib
(Please reply to ntounsi@emi.ac.ma)