Re:IRI/URI Canonicalization does not address IRIs with IDNs

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:24:56 +0000
To: public-powderwg@w3.org
CC: public-i18n-core@w3.org

Eric said:
[[
  I've never
implemented Unicode normalization, but I expect it's not trivial.
]]

You can use a third party library, e.g. IBM's icu library.

It is then quite straightforward.

The icu4j library is fairly large, and I believe larger than needed for
this problem (since it solves most other I18N problems too). But, I
don't think this is really a problem in practice.

I would urge the group to specify the right thing, whatever that is, and
not be too concerned about the detail here.

I believe that fairly soon most Web addresses will have IDNs.

Jeremy