Re: dir attribute in HTML 5

From: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:40:55 +0000
To: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
CC: public-i18n-core@w3.org

Hi Felix, all

Felix Sasaki wrote:
> Hi all,
> I had a look at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-html5-20080122/#the-dir
> were it says
> "The processing of this attribute depends on the presentation layer.
> For example, CSS 2.1 defines a mapping from this attribute to the CSS
> 'direction' and 'unicode-bidi' properties, and defines rendering in
> terms of those properties."
> This is quite different to HTML 4
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html#adef-dir
> which contains references for implementers of the Unicode BIDI algorithm,

Reference to the Bidi algorithm is put at the bdo description:

"The bdo element allows authors to override the Unicode bidi algorithm
by explicitly specifying a direction override. [BIDI]"

4 paragraphs later,
"The requirements on handling the bdo  element for the bidi algorithm
may be implemented indirectly through the style layer."
It is not clear what do they mean here.