Re: dir attribute in HTML 5

From: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:40:55 +0000
To: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
CC: public-i18n-core@w3.org

Hi Felix, all

Felix Sasaki wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had a look at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-html5-20080122/#the-dir
> were it says
> "The processing of this attribute depends on the presentation layer.
> For example, CSS 2.1 defines a mapping from this attribute to the CSS
> 'direction' and 'unicode-bidi' properties, and defines rendering in
> terms of those properties."
> This is quite different to HTML 4
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html#adef-dir
> which contains references for implementers of the Unicode BIDI algorithm,

Reference to the Bidi algorithm is put at the bdo description:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-html5-20080122/#bdo

"The bdo element allows authors to override the Unicode bidi algorithm
by explicitly specifying a direction override. [BIDI]"

4 paragraphs later,
"The requirements on handling the bdo  element for the bidi algorithm
may be implemented indirectly through the style layer."
It is not clear what do they mean here.

Najib.