W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > April to June 2008

Core telecon minutes: 2008-03-05

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 12:55:00 +0100
To: <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Message-ID: <005501c8b039$2e2f37d0$8a8da770$@org>

Sending for Addison...



Internationalization Core
05 Mar 2008
See also: IRC log
Attendees
Present
Michael_Monaghan, Richard, Felix, David, Addison
Regrets
Michelle
Chair
Addison Phillips
Scribe
Addison Phillips
Contents
•	Topics 
1.	Minutes and Agenda review
2.	Action Items
3.	Info Share
4.	Schedule for Future Teleconferences
5.	Overview of Future Work
•	Summary of Action Items
________________________________________
Minutes and Agenda review
+ time/day of future meetings
+ overview of future work
Action Items
________________________________________
Info Share
richard: mark davis wrote back to richard pointing to new uax29 version
... which we reviewed
... seems to address our comments... maybe not entirely to our satisfaction (Indic scripts might still be a problem)
<r12a> various experts contacted by richard for use cases for XML 1.0 names to use characters beyond Unicode 2.0
richard: also: a Lao picker completes his tour of SEAsia
<r12a> http://rishida.net/scripts/pickers/lao/
________________________________________
Schedule for Future Teleconferences
david coordinated data collection
<DavidClarke> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pHvp1TNbXGvI7AXY0Nh5JFg
07:00 Pacific (Wed) 15:00 London (Wed) 00:00 Sydney (Thu) 23:00 Tokyo (Wed)01
This would be 10:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time
david: keep current schedule for a couple more weeks
move to this new schedule for 2 April meeting (US) [3 April in Asia]
<scribe> ACTION: Addison to reschedule the meeting for the next couple of weeks to follow DST in USA [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/03/05-core-minutes.html#action01]
<scribe> ACTION: Addison to request new schedule following 2 April [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/03/05-core-minutes.html#action02]
Overview of Future Work
CharMod (character model)
LTLI (language tags and locale identifiers)
WS-I18N (web services i18n)
Bidi Best Practices for HTML Authors
Character Declaration Best Practices for HTML Authors
(existing work) Unicode Migration
Update to: "Working with Time Zones"
richard: we do various things---reviews, consulting with WGs; both are reactive
... we also try to do some outreach and education
... I just asked for more 'quick tips' cards to be printed, for example
... mention conferences, etc.
... but the documents are more "project work"
... and documenting what we are saying to people (so we don't lose the information)
... (and have handy references)
addison: good not to have to recreate and have it well thought out
richard: another project is JLTF
... sending out drafts for review from time-to-time
felix: thanks for mentioning
<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-japanese-layout-en/2008Feb/
felix: points to new English drafts
addison: if we're going to develop materials, need to break out of this meeting to do it
... spec review is important, but real meat can be this other work
... might also consider more geo materials such as IUC presentations
richard: felix and I will be doing an ITS presentation at WWW
... as well as @media and open road
mick: need a list of links to specific documents
richard: good to list these projects somewhere, maybe pipeline?
<scribe> ACTION: Addison: produce list of documents and add to pipeline [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/03/05-core-minutes.html#action03]
felix: might need to do TF style work, such as WS-i18n or JLTF
<fsasaki> +1 to work on LTLI
richard: key thing is to find editors
... plus agreement of group to work on doc
... put me down for bidi best practices
addison: I think both resid and normalization need to be resolved and finished off
richard: but we need to clearly prioritize, since one of us can't edit like three of these at once
addison: call for priorities
richard: wants to push bidi
... otherwise equally important
david: would like a look first
... general feeling of charmod
richard: agree with addison that normalization would be nice to have
... although resid would probably be easier (but not as important)
addison: call for editors/volunteers (no need to rush forward or shove)
________________________________________
AOB?
talk to you next week at this time (excepting US and canada)
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: Addison to request new schedule following 2 April [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/03/05-core-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Addison to reschedule the meeting for the next couple of weeks to follow DST in USA [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/03/05-core-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Addison: produce list of documents and add to pipeline [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/03/05-core-minutes.html#action03]
 
[End of minutes]

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)
 
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/blog/
http://rishida.net/

 
Received on Wednesday, 7 May 2008 11:54:45 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:55 GMT