Support for Web Standards in IE8

From: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:33:11 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org

Hi,

Microsoft Corp. is configuring the settings in Internet Explorer 8, the
upcoming version of its browser, to make standards-based rendering the
default mode [1].

Internet Explorer 8 has been designed to include three rendering modes:
- one that reflects Microsofts implementation of current Web standards,
- a second reflecting Microsofts implementation of Web standards at the
time of the release of Internet Explorer 7 in 2006,
- and a third (Quirk) based on rendering methods dating back to the
early Web.

"Our initial plan had been to use IE7-compatible behavior as the default
setting for IE8, to minimize potential impact on the worlds existing
Web sites. We have now decided to make our most current standards-based
mode the default in IE8." said Ray Ozzie, Microsoft chief software
architect

"there is a concrete benefit to Web designers if all vendors give
priority to interoperability around commonly accepted standards as they
evolve. After weighing these very legitimate concerns, we have decided
to give top priority to support for these new Web standards".

Last but not least...
While we do not believe there are currently any legal requirements that
would dictate which rendering mode must be chosen as the default for a
given browser, this step clearly removes this question as a potential
legal and regulatory issue, said Brad Smith, Microsoft senior vice
president and general counsel.

Best regards,
Najib Tounsi

[1]