Re: [XHR] i18n comment 5: charset detection health warning

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:11:37 +0100, <addison@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> Comment:
>> Before the section on charset detection in Section 2, there should be
>> a health warning stating something like:
>>
>> --
>> For interoperability, the use of a Unicode encoding, particularly
>> UTF-8, is RECOMMENDED. Non-Unicode encodings are difficult to detect
>> and effectively limit the range of character data that can be
>> transmitted reliably.
>> --
>
> This seems like good advice for an author tutorial. As you can tell, the
> XMLHttpRequest specification is not really intended for authors. Having
> said that, I should probably remove the last mentioning of "authors" out
> of the specification.

I know that the spec isn't intended for authors. However: authors do
read these specifications. I don't think including a health warning here
would be unnecessarily burdensome: our working group would, I believe,
prefer it to be included.

Thanks,

Addison

--