Re: [XHR] i18n comment 4: clarify case-insensitive limited to ASCII-only HTTP header values

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:48:06 +0100
To: addison@yahoo-inc.com, public-webapi@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:11:05 +0100, <addison@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> This doesn\'t make clear that this only applies to a limited domain of
> ASCII-only HTTP headers rather than serving as an overall definition of
> case-insensitivity.

It serves as a definition for case-insensitive matching relevant to
XMLHttpRequest.

> In any case, I would propose that this be changed as suggested below,
> since some programmers forget about locale-specific rules in their
> default case-mappings:
>
> --
> There is a case-insensitive match of strings s1 and s2 if they compare
> identically using the default case foldings defined by Unicode (which
> equates the ranges [a-z] and [A-Z]). Note that these do not include
> language-specific mappings, such as the dotted/dotless 'i' mappings in
> Turkish or Azerbaijani (see Unicode Section 3.13 and the CaseFolding.txt
> file in the UCD).
> --

The current editor's draft
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest/#case-insensitive-match has
the following text:

"There is a case-insensitive match of strings s1 and s2 if after mapping
the ASCII character range A-Z to the range a-z both strings are identical."

I don't think that mentioning Unicode is necessary here.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>