Re: Key Events internationalization

* Richard Ishida wrote:
>Oh.  So there is a plan to specify those? If so, how would they
>differ from the .keyIdentifier, and what is .keyIdentifier for?

The Working Group resolved to specify them, yes. But so far nobody
has been able to come up with a specification, largely because they
are not particularily interoperably or meaningfully implemented.

The .keyIdentifier attribute on KeyboardEvent objects identifies
the key associated with the event object. Without a specification
for .charCode and .keyCode, I can't really say what the difference
is.

>> Instead the appendix discusses the .keyIdentifier attribute.
>
>So were/how does the .keyIdentifier attribute get its information?

The DOM implementation is responsible for setting the attribute.
The implementation would get the necessary information from its
runtime environment. For a low-level description you might try
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_keyboard#How_it_works and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_core_protocol#Mappings for
a higher-level description. I am not sure what you really want to
know here.