Re: SVG12: IRI Processing rules and xlink:href

At 03:50 07/07/03, Addison Phillips wrote:
>[The following is a personal response.]
>
>Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>> There should be no SHOULD, it's critical that applications get this
>> right. Where normalization is necessary or beneficial, it should be
>> applied to the text content before any IRI processing takes place.
>
>I agree with this and am not sure why the change was made?
>
>The problem with this edit is that step 1b. is now doing two
>things where formerly it did only one thing. Previously, it specified
>that the IRI be converted to a normalized Unicode character sequence
>without specifying how that took place.

Well, the split was necessary to change from MUST to SHOULD.

>Now it specifies converting from the legacy encoding and *then*
>(perhaps) normalize. It reduces the requirement for NFC from an inherent
>MUST to an explicit SHOULD.

Yes. The way I understand it, this was to address concerns brought
up by the CSS WG that in some cases, they won't even know what
the original encoding was, because a whole CSS file has been
transcoded to Unicode, and the original encoding thrown away,
and it would be a bad hack to somehow keep the encoding around
and do something encoding-dependent long after everything is in
Unicode.

>Now I understand that encoding converters may or may not produce a
>sequence that is NFC. For example, mapping a sequence containing the
>combining flavors of Japanese dakuten or handakuten characters (i.e. U+3099, U+309A) to Unicode from a Japanese encoding will result in a combining sequence in several converters I have handy. I think it acceptable and even smart not to require the transcoding process to be normalizing. However, that wasn't the requirement in 1b. Normalization could be applied outside the transcoding process and still be conformant with the old text.

Yes, but as far as I understand, that wasn't the original issue.
Also, given the above fact, my guess is that apart from the above
issue, implementation conformance to the normalization requirement
in 1.b. is spotty at best.

It looks like this area of the spec really needs some more work,
so please keep your comments comming.

Regards,    Martin.