Re: Moving Right Along on the Inclusions Table...

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 22:10:57 +0900
To: Cary Karp <ck@nic.museum>, idna-update@alvestrand.no
Cc: public-i18n-core@w3.org, public-iri@w3.org

At 18:55 06/12/24, Cary Karp wrote:
>Quoting Martin:
>
>> Mixing directionality in a label is not allowed currently.
>
>Yes it is. Alphanumeric labels where the alpha is RTL and the numeric is
>LTR are permitted.

What I meant was that mixing of RTL letters and LTR letters isn't
allowed. But this was sloppily worded. Checking RFC 3987, I also
found that the text there may need to be clarified (it needs to
be updated to take into account combining marks at the end of
components anyway). [cc: the IRI mailing list]

It currently says:

   1.  A component SHOULD NOT use both right-to-left and left-to-right
       characters.

   2.  A component using right-to-left characters SHOULD start and end
       with right-to-left characters.

I think that at least should be changed to:

   1.  A component SHOULD NOT use both right-to-left and left-to-right
       letters.

   2.  A component using right-to-left characters SHOULD start and end
       with right-to-left letters.

It is clear from example 7 that numbers inside a component are allowed.

Regards,    Martin.