W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > October to December 2006

[I18N Core] Teleconference Minutes 2006-12-05

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 08:45:26 +0900
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org
Message-Id: <1165362326.5050.24.camel@fsasaki-desktop>

... are at http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html and below
as text.

Felix

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                        i18n core Working Group

5 Dec 2006

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Felix, Francois, Michael

   Regrets
          Richard

   Chair
          Francois

   Scribe
          Felix

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Michael - self introduction
         2. [5]action items
         3. [6]idna issue update
         4. [7]time Ontology comments
         5. [8]Charmod C064 considered unclear
         6. [9]XQuery full-text search request for feedback
         7. [10]LTLI
     * [11]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

Michael - self introduction

   Michael: interested in i18n in general and ws-i18n in specific . New
   to W3C WGs

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to gather pointers for Michael about W3C in
   general and i18n specific stuff (including ws i18n) [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]

action items

   action Felix to send out notes to www-international about LC reviews
   (InkML and PLS) (DONE)

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to send out notes to www-international about
   LC reviews (InkML and PLS) (DONE) [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]

   <scribe> ACTION: Francois to review InkML LC draft (PENDING)
   [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]

   [15]http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews

     [15] http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews

   <scribe> ACTION: Richard to find out what is the canonical URI for
   BCP47 (ONGOING) [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]

   see thread at
   [17]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006OctDec/
   0015.html

     [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006OctDec/0015.html

   <fyergeau> [18]http://esw.w3.org/topic/i18nLTLI

     [18] http://esw.w3.org/topic/i18nLTLI

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to to classify open LTLI issues (PENDING)
   [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]

   Felix: would use the wiki to collect topics, but text creation
   directly in the draft

   <scribe> ACTION: All to read Martins comments on IDNA issues
   (PENDING) [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]

   thread at
   [21]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Oct/001
   2.html

     [21] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Oct/0012.html

   comments from Martin are available

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to write a mail about possibility for SVG
   tiny specific IRI tests to martin and the i18n core list [recorded
   in [22]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]

   Heard nothing from Chris Lilley

   Francois: the last mail on the topic was from Martin, we are waiting
   for Chris

   <scribe> ACTION: Francois to build a current issues list on charmod
   norm (PENDING) [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]

   <scribe> ACTION: Francois to give input to wiki for the LTLI summary
   (ONGOING) [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]

   Francois: started editing this morning

   <scribe> ACTION: Francois to reply to Schema WG on normalization
   issue (DONE) [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action10]

idna issue update

   <scribe> postponed until next week

time Ontology comments

   reply from Semantic web WG at
   [26]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006OctDec/
   0017.html

     [26] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006OctDec/0017.html

   Francois: can be fixed when entered in a time line in the ontology
   ... as they say. We did not have a specific suggestion to solve the
   problem
   ... people in semantic web should do the Olson ID conversion to RDF

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to go back to the WG finally [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action11]

   Felix: will mention olson ID again

Charmod C064 considered unclear

   see
   [28]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006OctDec/
   0017.html

     [28] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006OctDec/0017.html

   [29]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Nov/001
   3.html

     [29] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Nov/0013.html

   reply from Martin
   [30]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Nov/001
   8.html

     [30] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Nov/0018.html

   Francois: agree with Martin on that

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to go back to Bjoern saying Martins mail is a
   WG answer [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action12]

XQuery full-text search request for feedback

   original mail from Jim
   [32]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Nov/001
   2.html

     [32] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Nov/0012.html

   Felix reply at
   [33]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Dec/000
   3.html

     [33] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Dec/0003.html

   Felix: the FTLanguage Option refers only to a language tag, hence I
   proposed to reference RFC 4646 and not BCP 47 as a whole

   "/book[@number="1"]//editor ftcontains "salon de the"

   with default stop words language "fr"

   Francois: the "fr" would match to the particular implementation
   options
   ... so we need matching

   Felix: agree, and ask for a note which explains that

   Francois: 3.2.6 says "It is implementation-defined what additional
   language identifiers, if any, are valid. "
   ... in BCP 47, they should start with "x" for non-BCP 47
   identifiers. So: use BCP 47, there is room for private extensions
   ... in the reply, we should explain the BCP 47 role as RFC 3066
   sucessor work, and there is another successor on the way

   Felix: on issue
   [34]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3740 : what should
   happen in the case of conflicts between xml:lang and the language
   option

     [34] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3740

   Francois: xml:lang should have precedence - so ask for a SHOULD,
   since not all implementations will have all languages available

   Michael: you search a Japanese document with a french option, they
   will just get no results, but maybe that's OK

   Francois: parsing rules are different for languages, e.g. no spaces
   in Japanese
   ... the implementation SHOULD obey xml:lang
   ... and say it is implementation-defined what languages they cover

   on issue 3698, see
   [35]http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/xsl-query-specs/full-text/full-text.
   html#ftdiacriticsoption

     [35] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/xsl-query-specs/full-text/full-text.html#ftdiacriticsoption

   Felix describes the issue

   Felix: are there standardized options for diacritics in collations?

   Francois: I'll have a look

   <scribe> ACTION: Francois to have a look at issue 3698 and gather
   information on options for diacrictics in collations [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action13]

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to ask for an extension for CSS 2.1 review
   [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action14]

LTLI

   Felix: will make a summary of the discussion at the architecture
   domain f2f and make editing related to that

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to ask for an extension for CSS 2.1 review
   [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action14]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to gather pointers for Michael about W3C in
   general and i18n specific stuff (including ws i18n) [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to go back to Bjoern saying Martins mail is a WG
   answer [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action12]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to go back to the WG finally [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action11]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to write a mail about possibility for SVG tiny
   specific IRI tests to martin and the i18n core list [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Francois to have a look at issue 3698 and gather
   information on options for diacrictics in collations [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action13]

   [PENDING] ACTION: All to read Martins comments on IDNA issues
   [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to to classify open LTLI issues [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Francois to build a current issues list on charmod
   norm [recorded in
   [46]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Francois to give input to wiki for the LTLI
   summary [recorded in
   [47]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Francois to review InkML LC draft [recorded in
   [48]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Richard to find out what is the canonical URI for
   BCP47 [recorded in
   [49]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]

   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to send out notes to www-international about LC
   reviews (InkML and PLS) [recorded in
   [50]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]
   [DONE] ACTION: Francois to reply to Schema WG on normalization issue
   [recorded in
   [51]http://www.w3.org/2006/12/05-i18ncore-minutes.html#action10]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [52]scribe.perl version 1.127
    ([53]CVS log)
    $Date: 2006/12/05 23:43:54 $

     [52] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [53] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Tuesday, 5 December 2006 23:45:40 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:51 GMT