W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > January to March 2006

[I18N Core] Teleconference Minutes 2006-02-21

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:25:49 +0900
Message-ID: <43FBF5DD.70805@w3.org>
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Hi,

The minutes of yesterday's call are at
http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html
and below as text.

- Felix


   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                        i18n core working group

21 Feb 2006

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Feb/0028.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Felix, Francois, Karunesh, Mary, Richard, Vijay

   Regrets
   Chair
          Francois

   Scribe
          Felix

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]action items
         2. [6]css selector reviews / cdf
         3. [7]MWBP 1.0 update (from Richard)
         4. [8]http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2006/i18ncore-f2f-
            20060302-agenda.html
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

action items

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to Ask HP AC rep about HP participation in
   tech plenary (DONE) but I guess too late for tech plenary, maybe we
   find some body in general [recorded in
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to schedule a meeting with WS folks on
   Thursday and Friday (DONE) but not successfuly the meeting will be
   on Monday / Tuesday, within the WSDL group [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]

   <scribe> ACTION: Francois to review the PLS spec (ONGOING) [recorded
   in [12]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]

   <scribe> ACTION: all except Mary to read ws-i18n before the tech
   plenary (ONGOING) [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to ask Addison and Mark about language tags
   in CSS (ONGOING) hope to be able to talk to them at the Unicode
   conference [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]

   <scribe> ACTION: francois / all to go through charmod norm comments
   (ONGOING) [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]

   francois: that will mostly happen during the tech plenary

   <scribe> ACTION: [16]http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews
   [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]

     [16] http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews

   felix: 3 new documents:
   ... xml schema data types
   ... wsdl addr 1.0
   ... p3p 1.1
   ... [18]http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xmlschema11-2-20060217/

     [18] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xmlschema11-2-20060217/

   francois: real issues with xml schema data types
   ... with time and date stuff

   felix: they have taken some stuff from xquery

   francois: they have data types in different name spaces

   felix: that might be solved soon

   on p3p 1.1:
   [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/
   0197.html

     [19]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/0197.html

   richard: could we get martin to review that?

   <scribe> ACTION: felix to ping martin to review p3p 1.1 [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]

   <scribe> ACTION: felix to ask mark davis to participate in the
   review of xml schema data types [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]

   <scribe> ACTION: mary to review wsdl addr 1.0
   [22]http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews#ws-addr-wsdl
   [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action10]

     [22] http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews#ws-addr-wsdl

   francois: we should set mary as the main reviewer

   felix: will do

   <r12a> [24]http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-lang/

     [24] http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-lang/

   <r12a> [25]http://www.w3.org/QA/2006/02/content_negotiation.html

     [25] http://www.w3.org/QA/2006/02/content_negotiation.html

   richard: wrote comments on this
   ... I will ask them to get i18n review stuff by i18n geo or core
   people

   felix: do you want us to go through your comments and send them as
   core comments?

   richard: no, don't need to make this formal at this stage. I'll just
   copy to the list

   felix: what issues did you have with the article?

   richard: they miss a bunch of stuff about why one should use
   language negation
   ... and a lot of other stuff.

css selector reviews / cdf

   felix: no update

   francois: we will meet them at the tech plenary
   ... what is open for CDF?

   felix: IRI stuff
   ... and spelling errors, we don't have to follow these

MWBP 1.0 update (from Richard)

   <r12a> [26]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0602-mwbp10/

     [26] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0602-mwbp10/

   richard: comment 7:

   felix: will it be o.k. to give them the comments later?

   richard: the deadline was last week

   felix: I will make the changes tomorrow

   richard: in Unicode you need more bytes for indic scripts
   ... it is a true statement, why include it here?

   francois: one point that is worth making:
   ... if you have fields with fixed length
   ... they might not be big enough
   ... if they are created for latin languages

   richard: what do you propose?

   felix: to say "take lenght issues for forms into account"

   francois: people try to take band width into account
   ... so they have to be careful of script related issues

   richard: so to say "you may want to consider special compression
   forms of Unicode"

   francois: an additional point: if you want to translate to a
   different encoding, a different bandwith might be necessary

   <scribe> ACTION: richard to try a formulation for comment 9
   [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action11]

   felix: I'll try s.t. before as well

   comment 10

   richard: what is the issue?

   francois: in a mobile, you might not have the option to get
   translations

   richard: e.g. the pull down menues

   francois: yes. it is not technically impossible, but I don't know if
   it exists

   felix: example of a lexicon which can only be accessed from a
   non-mobile HP
   ... and as the comment: make this obvious in the comment

   richard: have a wording on it tomorrow?

   <scribe> ACTION: felix and richard to finish up mwbp comments
   tomorrow (richard's time) [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action12]

   comment 16

   richard: we say "has to be made"
   ... how about "would be"?

   felix: o.k.

   richard: comment 24

   felix: I'll go trough it tomorrow

   comment 28

   francois: to encourage them to use standard mechanisms for lang
   decl?

   richard: they should point to the standard mechanisms

   francois: good thing
   ... I would add:
   ... there may be a mobile specific mean
   ... use the standards for language, if there is s.t. else (mobile
   specific), go ahead

   richard: o.k., I'll change that

   francois: use the standards as far as possible, then go behind it

   richard: last comment:
   ... encourage Unicode

   all agree on that

[29]http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2006/i18ncore-f2f-20060302-ag
enda.html

     [29]
http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2006/i18ncore-f2f-20060302-agenda.html

   francois: filled everthing, except for the last slot
   ... the slot for ws will be empty

   felix: how about using more time for charmod (norm)?

   francois: some items can be short, e.g. ltli
   ... fine everybody?
   ... 90 minutes o.k. for ws i18n?

   richard: tech plenary is very useful
   ... to talk to other groups
   ... the 4 days as i18n core

   <scribe> ACTION: felix to set up a meeting with xml core / xml
   schema people about charmod norm [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action13]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: felix and richard to finish up mwbp comments tomorrow
   (richard's time) [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action12]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to ask Addison and Mark about language tags in
   CSS (ONGOING) hope to be able to talk to them at the Unicode
   conference [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to Ask HP AC rep about HP participation in tech
   plenary (DONE) but I guess too late for tech plenary, maybe we find
   some body in general [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: felix to ask mark davis to participate in the review
   of xml schema data types [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]
   [NEW] ACTION: felix to ping martin to review p3p 1.1 [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to schedule a meeting with WS folks on Thursday
   and Friday (DONE) but not successfuly the meeting will be on Monday
   / Tuesday, within the WSDL group [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: felix to set up a meeting with xml core / xml schema
   people about charmod norm [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action13]
   [NEW] ACTION: [38]http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews
   [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: mary to review wsdl addr 1.0
   [40]http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews#ws-addr-wsdl
   [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action10]
   [NEW] ACTION: richard to try a formulation for comment 9 [recorded
   in [42]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action11]

     [38] http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews
     [40] http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews#ws-addr-wsdl

   [PENDING] ACTION: all except Mary to read ws-i18n before the tech
   plenary [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: francois / all to go through charmod norm comments
   [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Francois to review the PLS spec [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/21-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [46]scribe.perl version 1.127
    ([47]CVS log)
    $Date: 2006/02/22 04:40:41 $

     [46] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [47] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Wednesday, 22 February 2006 05:25:59 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:50 GMT