Re: [CDR Framework] i18n comment: Language identification for child documents

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:26:44 -0500
To: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Cc: public-cdf@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org

Felix - the WG hasn't discussed the details of your response to our
message, but I think I can respond to it while staying in scope of
what we did decide, more or less ...

On 1/31/06, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org> wrote:
> The i18n core working group still disagrees with your reply.
> We have a scenario in mind with an XHTML document which contains an SVG
> image. If it is external, the language information does not apply anymore.
> Our concern is: what should happen if there is no "authoritative
> metadata"? We agree with the explanation you gave us, but would like to
> have a scenario for the case without "authoritative metadata", but with
> document internal data.

But "document internal data" can include authoritative metadata (e.g. xml:lang).

So if you mean a case where a document with an xml:lang CDR-references
a document with its own xml:lang, I think the semantics are pretty
clear.  But if you mean a document with an xml:lang CDR-referencing
another document without an xml:lang or other authoritative indication
of language, then I think you're left with heuristics as Bjoern
pointed out.

Cheers,

Mark.