W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > January to March 2006

minutes i18n core telefone conference 2006-01-24

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:19:57 +0900
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.s3w7vjwbx1753t@ibm-60d333fc0ec.mag.keio.ac.jp>

The minutes are at

http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html

and below as text.

Regards, Felix.

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                         i18n core working group

24 Jan 2006

    [2]Agenda

       [2]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jan/0038.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Felix, Francois, Karunesh, Mary, Richard, Vijay

    Regrets
    Chair
           Francois

    Scribe
           Felix

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]css selectors review
          2. [6]ws i18n
          3. [7]action items
          4. [8]getting feedback on first letter
          5. [9]cdf review
             http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0601-cdf/
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

css selectors review

    felix: discussion on namespace binding and other topics, ongoing

ws i18n

    mary: put comments from IBM and MS on comments page
    ... worked on how ws i18n and Java implementation alignment

    <fyergeau>
    [11]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-i18n-comments/2006Jan/00
    06.html

      [11]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-i18n-comments/2006Jan/0006.html

    Mary: Most important is how this relates to policy
    ... what we are specifying through policy, and what directly
    ... I spend the night working on the security ws policy document
    (100 of pages!)

action items

    [12]http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04350.html

      [12] http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04350.html

    <scribe> ACTION: all to look at new comments from QT on charmod norm
    (PENDING) [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to find a stable uri to bcp47, rather than
    point to RFC 3066 (DONE) [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]

    [15]ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/bcp/bcp47.txt

      [15] ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/bcp/bcp47.txt

    francois: I am worried about this address
    ... it is hard to find if you have no pointer

    <fyergeau> CSS does do matching, so it would not be enough to cite
    the non-matching part of RFC 3066bis. We need to know more on the
    status of RFC 3066bis in general.

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to summarize RFC 3066bis and to contact
    Adisson and Mark on this [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]

    <scribe> ACTION: ACTION: felix to put bidi mirror on review
    radar(DONE) [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]

    <scribe> ACTION: continue the discussion of open topics next week
    (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]

    <r12a-tax-rtn> [19]http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews

    francois: as a wg, we don't have to tackle this
    ... so let's drop this (on the 30rth, at the end of the deadline)

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to ask addison for preparations for meetings
    with ws folks (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to contact Moataz about HP replacement and TP
    (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]

    <scribe> ACTION: francois to go through
    [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-i18n-comments/2005Dec/00
    03.html [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]

      [22]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-i18n-comments/2005Dec/0003.html

    <scribe> ACTION: francois to review the proposal is to eliminate
    overriding of bidi mirroring (DROPPED) [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]

getting feedback on first letter

    <r12a-tax-rtn> [25]http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/?p=40

      [25] http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/?p=40

    ri: this blog asks for feedback on first letter
    ... if you are happy with this, I would send this out to
    www-international
    ... and other lists

    Francois: good idea

    felix: +1

    francois: the question is if there is some tradition of its usage
    ... if there is no usage tradition, we don't have to dam css to have
    this feature

    ri: I have changed the first thing you mentioned, will change the
    rest later

    karunseh: as for indic languages, the first character does not have
    specific style
    ... in your example, the first character is a vowel sign, and it
    does normally not have a specific styling

    ri: if you have "A ACUTE", that is fine
    ... if you have "A" plus "ACUTE", that are two characters
    ... that is why we proposed grapheme clusters to css
    ... as for indic languages, the first syllable might be a different
    unit
    ... but you are saying that both character or syllable might not be
    useful for Indic, right?

    Karunesh: Yes

    Francois: the blog will help tremendously to decide what has to be
    done

cdf review [26]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0601-cdf/

      [26] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0601-cdf/

    <karunesh> felix,richard: we have few more points to discussed with
    you after the call regarding indic languages

    <r12a-tax-rtn> ok karunesh

    IDL mechanisms are the meat of the specs:
    [27]http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CDR-20051219/#idl-definitions

      [27] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CDR-20051219/#idl-definitions

    ri: spelling error for pishing

    comment 2

    francois: agreed

    comment 4

    ri: you can't make a mandatory feature
    ... only if the document supports IRIs

    francois: agreed

    comment 5

    francois: If you ask an SVG document about language information
    ... and the doc. is inside an HTML document
    ... the xml:lang in the HTML applies to the SVG as well
    ... it seems that the compounding specs should say
    ... you should get the same results for both inclusion and reference

    felix: I reformulate that comment in that sense

    francois: if it works for DOM in general, it should work for
    language too
    ... or xml:space

    ri: or dir

    francois: mention xml:space as well

    comment 6

    ri: the same thing as comment 5, right?

    francois: drop this

    ri: write in a note that character encoding is not an issue, because
    it is all xml and DOM. If not, please pay attention

    comment 7

    francois: the same as 4

    comment 10

    francois: drop that

    richard: in general, it might be good to have several tables for the
    review

    karunesh: I will make more examples and send them to you

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: felix to summarize RFC 3066bis and to contact Adisson
    and Mark on this [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: francois to go through
    [29]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-i18n-comments/2005Dec/00
    03.html [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]

      [29]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-i18n-comments/2005Dec/0003.html

    [PENDING] ACTION: all to look at new comments from QT on charmod
    norm [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]
    [PENDING] ACTION: continue the discussion of open topics next week
    [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]
    [PENDING] ACTION: felix to ask addison for preparations for meetings
    with ws folks [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to contact Moataz about HP replacement and
    TP [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]

    [DONE] ACTION: felix to find a stable uri to bcp47, rather than
    point to RFC 3066 [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]
    [DONE] ACTION: felix to put bidi mirror on review radar [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]

    [DROPPED] ACTION: francois to review the proposal is to eliminate
    overriding of bidi mirroring [recorded in
    [37]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [38]scribe.perl version 1.127
     ([39]CVS log)
     $Date: 2006/01/25 06:17:37 $

      [38] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [39] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 25 January 2006 06:20:15 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:50 GMT