Re: I18n comment: bidirectional ordering

From: Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:52:31 +0200
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Cc: ishida@w3.org, www-style@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org

Martin Duerst wrote:

> At 19:53 06/01/21, ishida@w3.org wrote:
>  >Note that this (presumably) applies really to Hebrew but not Arabic,
> since
>  >the latter script is cursive.
>
> I have a vague recollection of Arabic with letters of different size.
> I hope somebody can confirm.
> There is nothing in principle that would disallow making the first
> letter larger (or otherwise different in style) even if the script
> is cursive.

What about Devanagari and similar scripts? This is a case where the
first letter is not necessarily at the start of the line even without
bidirectional ordering. I don't know if traditional typography in these
scripts includes any feature of making the first letter different in any
way.

Actually, Martin's "otherwise different in style" seems to open a whole
new can of worms. If different scripts have a different "native" way of
accentuating the first letter, an appropriate property would need to be
added to the Text Effects module.

Simon